Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Remember You

He was struggling  to get some sleep tossing around in a bed that seemed so empty since she left him. The argument that started out more like kidding about what? He didn't remember. All he knew was that their voices started to rise and words were coming out of their mouths in reckless abandon. Before they realized it things that were said opened wounds that cut to the bone and caused a bleeding deep within their spirits. The next morning he woke to find that she left leaving a short curt note that said she would never forgive him for the wounds he perpetrated upon her that night. A few weeks passed and his life seemed to be a deep dark chasm into which he was bound feeling the void that only she could fulfill.

He sat up in bed and groped for his cigarettes. He lit a Lucky and took a deep drag letting the warm smoke find its way into his lungs. He thought "I've got to give these things up before they kill me.", but he needed them now. His life without her was as empty as his bed and quite frankly he didn't care if he died because living without her was a living hell. He got up and went to the liqueur cabinet figuring a shot of Vodka might help him get to sleep. He poured himself a shot and drank it as deeply as he had inhaled his cigarette.  He snuffed out his Lucky and returned to bed. The Vodka did help and he found himself drowsing into the land of  nod. But this was not a peaceful sleep rather it was one which had his life with her fly though his mind at such a fast rate that it left him breathless in his dreams. He was reliving his happiest times, the times they laughed, sat through the most boring plays only to laugh about it as they drank their cocktails while they just enjoyed being together. He relived the times they had made love with such soaring spirits of love and lust. Then suddenly, she was gone and he was left alone in what seemed a wasteland. He found himself in the middle of crowds of people, eating and drinking yet among them all he was alone because he no longer had her. Then suddenly he was completely alone in darkness when he heard these words coming from inside of himself:

Gone is the Romance so divine
Tis broken and cannot be mended
You must go your way and I must go mine
But now that our love dreams have ended

What'll I do
When you are far away
And I am blue
What'll I do

What'll I do
When I am wondering who
Is kissing you
What'll I do

What'll I do with just a photograph
To tell my troubles to

When I'm alone with only dreams of you
That won't come true
What'll I do

What'll I do with just a photograph
To tell my troubles to

When I'm alone with only dreams of you
That won't come true

Then the words stopped and there was nothing but darkness. The next day his neighbors came by and found him in his bed, expired.


No comments: