Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27, 1957 (7/27/57)

July 27, 1957 was a hot Saturday. They were getting married at a Nuptial Mass at 9 AM . Then off to the restaurant in Port Washington with a sliding roof, called, The Riviera, for Breakfast then the reception at
1 PM. As she entered the church he thought she is as beautiful as ever, in today's terms, she was very hot! It was to be a small gathering with close relatives and friends totaling 85 people. The ceremony went well with only one glitch, if one could call it that, her father was standing on her gown's train so after he kissed her he didn't move and she couldn't get to his side which caused him to laugh, controlled,  but laugh he did.

After the ceremony they had the breakfast and looked out upon the water of the bay which boarded The Riviera. The reception started right on time and they had their first dance together as Mr. and Mrs. The four piece band was one he used when he was playing his trumpet for a living so they surprised him by bringing his trumpet so he danced yes, but he also played some sets and he also managed to insult the photographer   so that he left after taking enough pictures or so he thought. The guests were wonderful. The roof was rolled back and the sky shone overhead and being next to the water the cool breeze was delightful. They left around 4 PM as they had to go to Miami for their honeymoon, then to the Army base where he was stationed in Georgia. They lived off base at 79 B Baker Village.

As he reflected on this day of July 27, 2014, some 57 years after it it all started, he could only reflect on how much has happened in those years. Most if not all of the guests were gone. She left him, passing on, some 7 years ago. after a long deliberating battle with Alzheimer's. But while everyone from that eventful day was gone many more were added. They had 7 children, some of whom married and had children, 10 to be exact and one grandchild had a beautiful little son, his only great-grandson. New friends, new family all replacing the ones who had passed on. Their children were truly the gift of their union, a treasure that was immeasurable, truly a treasure worth all the gold in the world and then some.

For a while he grieved deeply not only for her passing but for her illness which robbed her of her life, her dignity, her ability to function even at the simplest levels. But he soon realized that the life lived was just that, something of the past that lived no more except in the memories of those who wanted to remember. It was time to move on and start to live again, not stay in the past but get into the "now", the present. He got together with old friends from his childhood, volunteered and was busy, that was it, "busy" not living, not enjoying. Then through social networking he met an old friend who he hadn't seen in a quarter of a century. They met. They hit it off. They fell in love. And suddenly his life was complete again. A solitary life is very lonely for some, for him. But just having acquaintances was not fulfilling. But having a shared love is completion. She completed him. This shared love is going to be enjoyed and lived for as long as they want it to be. His age is a problem, but why worry about tomorrow when we have today to live.
Post a Comment