Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nobody Asked Me But;

Wasn't it only a few years ago or maybe sooner that everyone was toasting President Obama for his gutsy call in nailing OBL? Now aren't many Tea Baggers and Republicans toasting him for being afraid and timid?

Did anyone take note that the Rapture didn't happen, yet the nut who said it was going to happen is still alive and kicking and being covered by the press? By the way he says the day passed in quiet judgement and the world will end Oct. 21, 2011. I bet he was wrong. No one want to cover the bets?



I think music is one of the greatest healers of the soul gifted to the human race. We all have "our" music from "our time" but I think the lyrics of the standards are pure poetry that soothe the broken hearts and spur the romanticist for example Jobin and Gilbert's :





"Meditation"

In my loneliness when you're gone

And I'm all by myself and I need your caress
I just think of you and the thought of you holding me near
Makes my loneliness soon disappear

Though you're far away
I have only to close my eyes and you are back to stay
I just close my eyes and the sadness that missing you brings
Soon is gone and this heart of mine sings

Yes I love you so and that for me is all I need to know
I will wait for you till the sun falls from out of the sky
For what else can I do
I will wait for you, meditating how sweet life
Will be when you come back to me

 Am I the only person that has run into people who are for smaller government but see no reason to stop the government from funding research for Cancer, Autism, Alzheimer's  and other diseases because they have a personal interest as someone close to them is struck by these calamities? By the way not only research is involved but the establishment of special schools, respite programs and nursing homes and hospice funding is connected with government funding through such programs as Medicaid and Medicare. 

Can someone tell me what is so sacrosanct about taxing the most wealthy including business a few more percentage points in order to balance the budget? Why can't the USA cut defense spending, ever? Does anyone like the current pretenders to the throne the Republican Party seems to be foisting on the American Public? Does anyone really understand what Paul Ryan is saying about his plan to cut the budget? I mean, cutting Medicare for those under 55 when they reach 65 seems OK to him since he'll be financially secure unless he gets too greedy. So if he and his ilk can do it why can't everyone? He'll probably be a Lobbyist when he leaves Congress or maybe he'll parley this into being President, then he won't have a worry in the world. BUT if those under 55 now when they reach 65 then, will because the voucher plan won't be able to cover their medical expenses by a long shot. 

Has anyone topped George and Ira Gershwin as America's top composers?



"Summertime"


Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh! Your Daddy's rich and your Ma is good lookin'
So, hush little baby, don't you cry . . .

One of these mornin's you're gonna rise up singin'
Then you'll spread your wings, and you'll take to the sky
But 'till that mornin' there's a nothin' can harm you,
with Daddy and Mammy standin' by . . .

But 'till that mornin' there's a nothin' can harm you,
with Daddy and Mammy standin' by . . .

Music by George Gershwin
with lyrics by Ira Gershwin and Du Bose Heyward, 1933

 Just had a call from a guy I know who really disliked Obama care. It so happens this guy has a wife who is ill physically and mentally. She had used up their mental health in-hospital care and he has been struggling with her treatment because her Doctor wants to hospitalize her for a short time in order to properly treat her. The insurance company just told him that under the Obama Heath care bill the requirements they placed on those they covered has gone away. He can now be covered when she is hospitalized for proper treatment. Needless to say he loves Obama care now. Nobody asked me but I predict that once he gets over his feeling of elation he again will find fault with Obama care. It is human nature especially for those who really can't stand the idea of the Obama Presidency, for no particular reason except they don't like him.



No comments: