Monday, March 31, 2014

Slow Down You Move Too Fast


There comes a time in one's life when the decision has to be made to slow down or life will pass you by. There is so much emphasis put on succeeding that there is very little time left to just enjoying living.


A child doesn't even have time to be just a child to discover and enjoy his surroundings before he is in Pre-K which is followed by K and then the whole learning process from the best of elementary school to the best of high school to the best of universities. This is the constant pressure to learn the scholastic programs, earn great marks so that the better schools will accept you and perhaps give great scholarships. Between all that studying sports such as Baseball, Soccer maybe Basketball and Football are squeezed in and the real good ones can get a sports scholarship and then go on to the pros.As they age sports leave them and they are so engrossed in having a good time they are sleeping around with anyone who makes themselves available, drinking, smoking crack or Mary Jane, with nothing ever really having much real meaning the only goal is to sate themselves with their idea of success foisted on them by their parents and society as a whole. Everything is moving at breakneck speed all aimed to succeed and make tons of money and before it is realized the guys and gals are nearing thirty then breaking forty and suddenly youth is left behind and middle then old age takes over. With old age comes the realization that their lives were wasted. Maybe they are recognized in their field. Maybe they are financially stable and have no financial worries. Maybe they have great estates and continue to live in the lap of luxury. Maybe they have broken marriages, children out of control, an unsettled mind and body being kept alive by today's medicines and drugs. Maybe they missed the real meaning of life and missed living while they traveled at breakneck speed toward "success".



To all who want to take a moment to reflect I would like to off Gorden Jenkin's lyrics:

This Is All I Ask

As I approach the prime of my life
I find I have the time of my life
Learning to enjoy at my leisure
All the simple pleasure
And so I happily concede

This is all I ask
This is all I need


Beautiful girl, walk a little slower when you walk by me
Lingering sunset, stay a little longer with the lonely sea
Children everywhere, when you shoot at bad men, shoot at me
Take me to that strange enchanted land
Grown-ups seldom understand


Wandering rainbows, leave a bit of color for my heart to own
Stars in the sky, make my wish come true
Before the night has flown
And let the music play as long as there's a song to sing
Then I will stay younger than spring



 

        

No comments: